4 - 7 - 8 Breathing
The Power of the Breath
Take a deep breath. Its advice we’ve all heard, whether we are feeling stressed, angry, or are in pain. But did you know that breathing can affect your level of stress, muscle tension, fatigue, and even digestion? Breathing is an incredibly underestimated means of improving wellness.
4 - 7- 8 Breathing
Try this Simple breathing technique. When practiced 2x daily for 4-6 weeks you can re-pattern your nervous system.
- Lying down or sitting up.
- Exhale fully through the mouth
- Put the tip of your tongue on the soft tissue behind your upper front teeth.
- Inhale through the nose for a count of 4.
- Hold your breath for a count of 7
- Exhale through the mouth for a count of 8 (keeping your tongue on the soft tissue of the upper front teeth)
- Do this for 4 cycles.
- Consistency is extremely important.
Trying to lose weight? Quitting smoking? Confronting a difficult situation? Before reacting, pause and practice the 4-7-8 breath.
MICRO BREAK: Micro Breaks are regular, small, meaningful breaks that will re-energize you. Research shows that micro breaks reduces emotional exhaustion, helps with job ratification and improves well-being.
"Love the moment, and the energy of that moment will spread beyond all boundaries." - Corita Kent